Newport Harbour Masterplan
Following the consultations with Newport businesses and residents during 2017 and 2018 we are now able to start the Masterplan design process, so it’s time to get involved again in the next stage of ideas and opportunities for Newport Harbour. Using the feedback already gathered we have created some objectives and priorities which are shown on this page, plus a map showing the area we are working on. We want to know what you think of them.
This project is working with Shaping Newport based at 30 High Street. Call in to 30 High Street to find out more or give us feedback on these ideas.
Meet the team
There will be a chance to find out more about the project and meet us in person. Join us from 8.30am until 12 noon on Saturday 16 March, underneath Medina Theatre. Shaping Newport will be there too to discuss issues across Newport.
There will be further opportunities in April and May to come to meetings and discussions, or just drop in to 30 High Street.
The vision is to transform Newport Harbour and surrounds into a lively, well-designed and sustainable mixed-use location, close to Newport town centre and sympathetic to the harbour’s character and activities.
The key principles for developing the design
- Be sensitive to the harbour setting.
- Respond to the scale and character of the area.
- Retain and frame views of Newport and green space.
- Improve the quality of public space.
- Make better connections to the town centre and not compete with it.
- Improve connectivity and movement across the site and with surroundings.
- Increase safe public access to the waterfront creating a harbour loop with a possible pedestrian and cycle bridge.
- Retain uses and buildings which contribute to the
- Generate long term sustainability for the harbour to provide for its maintenance and investment in the harbour facilities.
- Use the land efficiently – provide development space and public space.
- Support the effective use of the river.
- Enhance diverse employment activities.
- Build on existing employment activities and flexible spaces for a variety of employment uses that will activate the area.
- Create both temporary construction related and additional permanent jobs through new employment opportunities.
- Deliver 200-300 well-designed, mixed tenure (including affordable) new homes appropriate for their context.
- Enhance the unique harbour identity – Create a unique place with well-designed public realm and buildings that make the most of the harbour’s assets, including the special qualities of the marine heritage, built and natural environment.
- Increase activity and attract more visitors with out and indoor spaces for temporary and permanent activities to increase visitor numbers by land and boat.
- Create an ambitious and deliverable sustainable pedestrian, cycle, parking and public transport strategy and improve connectivity to the town centre to the hospital, college, industry and community/leisure amenities.
- Create a resilient site – address flooding and safety risks around the harbour.
- Generate benefits for the local community including improved health, reduced unemployment and improved community and public spaces.
- Ensure project is economically viable and deliverable – look at the realistic options for investment and make sure there is flexibility.
Archive: 2017 consultation outcomes
Following a series of well attended stakeholder events in 2017 the project team began reviewing the initial concept design for Newport Harbour based on your input.
If you weren’t able to make the events or would like to know what was discussed, you can download the Visual Minutes and Debriefing (PDF 13mb) of the workshop from 14 November 2017.